Identifies opportunities to develop and market new products and
services within or outside of the organization. Is willing to take risks, initiate actions that involve a
deliberate risk to achieve a recognized benefit or advantage.
Ideas for Developing this Competency:
- Establish networks with business people
known for their business acumen and risk taking.
- Market a new or existing BLM product or service.
- Design a customer service survey.
- Attend conferences or seminars addressing business processes in the public and private
- Read books and other publications to gain insight into how successful businesses
- Form a partnership with other agencies to provide
serve your collective
- Check the Internet for ideas.
- Develop a "branding" strategy for your
- Start a small business in your home.
- Confront something that frightens you.
- Volunteer to represent BLM at a local
- Volunteer for a nonprofit